7 Reasons Why You Should See The Flamingos In Celestun Mexico
1. The boat ride along the river. Seeing the mangroves was worth $13 per person alone. It was cool to go through the mangroves by boat, with the bonus of a cenote at the end of the mangroves. The video on this blog post gives you an idea.
2. If you’re used to sailing or boating on the ocean this is an absolute delight, comparably speaking — no need for Dramamine, seat cushions, Xanax. There are no waves, the boat is comfortable, and no bench seats. Just sit back, relax and enjoy.
3. Now, the obvious reason, to see the flamingos. We won’t get into it much here and spoil it, but our favorite part was watching them fly. Check out the video on this post to see how amazing watching the flamingos truly is.
4. Seeing the other wildlife was pretty awesome. We saw pelicans, egrets, vultures, and many other birds. It’s unbelievably amazing to us how much life is on the river (we are going to call it a river, that’s what it feels like) or in the mangroves.
5. Our tour guide raced down the shore made a sharp left turn, right into the mangroves. One of the people on our boat yelled out, “I feel like I’m in Disneyland.” To be honest, he wasn’t far off. It was one of the coolest things I’ve seen on a boat. The video does not give it justice.
6. Listening to all the details from your captain. Here’s where it gets a little tricky. If nobody on your boat speaks Spanish, it’s going to be hard to get all the details. I’ll give you a few right now that we found fascinating. The flamingos lay one egg a year, in the mangroves. Their predators are monkeys, jaguars, and crocodiles. The monkeys eat the eggs (I’m guessing), and the
7. You get to swim in a cenote after passing through the mangroves. All the boats will stop, and you’ll get a chance to get out walk along the dock, jump in and enjoy the warm, salty, sulfur smells of the beautiful cenote.
So there you have it folks, one of the best things we did in our month in Mexico. On a side note, don’t plan to spend much time at Celestun beach… it’s terrible (in our opinion).
What To Do After The Flamingo Tour?
What we did after watching the flamingos was drive over to Sisal Beach. It doesn’t have the crystal blue, green waters that Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, or Tulum have but it’s nice to see and visit. What we liked about Sisal Beach was how it was a ghost town. It was a fun afternoon; we learned to fish with a net, we sat at the bar near the pier and had a beer. Then we drove around Sisal to look at the town. In our opinion, it was the most deserted quiet town we’ve seen since we’ve been in the Yucatan. We only saw one person walking around with his surfboard.
Our day trip to Celestun and Sisal Beach was a lot of fun, and we would recommend the drive if you are staying in Merida. We personally would not stay in Sisal or Celestun because there wouldn’t be enough for us to do, but for a day excursion, it was great.
More 2 Traveling Lovers Article & Video links from the Yucatan peninsula:
We spent a month traveling throughout the Yucatan Peninsula. If you’re interested in visiting the area, we hope you will find our articles and videos helpful. All of our posts have a video included, and we have new videos on our YouTube channel. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel too so you won’t miss a video.
Below are a few articles and videos from our stay in the Yucatan:
2 Traveling Lovers Videos only on YouTube
I hope you found our tips of the 7 Reasons Why You Should See The Flamingos In Celestun Mexico to be useful and you are excited to visit the area and enjoy the boat tour.
If you are interested in checking hotel prices we have found booking.com to have the most competitive prices. Click here to check out hotels.
All of our video footage is taken with GoPro HERO6. It’s a waterproof digital action camera for travel with a touchscreen. We use this camera daily, and we love it. If you are interested in checking it out here is the Amazon link: Click here.
The drone we use is the DJ Spark with Remote Control Combo. We like this drone because it’s compact, it’s effortless to take on trips, it’s easy to fly, and it shoots 1080p. All of our drone footage on our blog posts and youtube videos are taken with this drone. We highly recommend it. If you are interested in checking it out here is the Amazon link: Click here.
Another item we use daily is our Primocean Backpack with an insulated cooler bag. We use this as Christie’s carryon bag on the plane and as our cooler at our final destination. We used to use a different backpack and we switched to this one because it’s better made of durable material with quality zippers. We love this backpack!! The cooler section is smaller; however, all the compartments and the quality of the backpack make it a much better choice for basically the same cost. We wish we would have thought of this item a long time ago. If you are interested in checking it out here is the Amazon link: Click Here.
Our goal while traveling the world is to help couples find the best cultural experiences in every country while keeping costs very reasonable. We have become experts in planning travel and not breaking the bank!!
If you would like to follow our journey around the world, please subscribe to our website at www.2travelinglovers.com. We give a great deal of FREE information to make your lives easier. Learn from our mistakes!!
We also have an Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube Channel all at @2travelinglovers.
2 Traveling Lovers contains affiliate links. If you make purchases through these links, we will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. These commissions help reduce the ever-increasing cost of keeping this site active, along with enabling us to bring you more quality information regarding travel. Thanks for reading.